Fish Teriyaki Marinade
* 1 cup soy sauce or liquid aminos - thin with water to reduce saltiness
* ½ cup maple syrup, honey, or agave nector
* ¼ cup olive oil, sesame oil or another of your choice – sesame seed oil is excellent
* 3 tsp grated fresh ginger
* 2-3 garlic cloves - grated - powdered work fine in a pinch
* ¼ cup mirin – optional
Mix ingredients together and marinate any kind of fish for 2-3 hours. Fish can be cooked anyway, but is especially good when barbequed. For BBQ, create foil “boat” for top of grill and add olive oil followed by fish. Foil helps to keep flaky, properly cooked fish from falling through grill. Excellent for all fish! When used for Sablefish, cooking time often is extended a bit to get it to properly flaky consistency.
Baked Salmon with Herbs
* Filet or pieces equaling about 2½ lbs
* ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
* 2 tablespoons combination of chopped fresh herbs – dill, chives, chervil, basil, sage
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1 tbsp water
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
Garnish(Optional): Cucumber slices, parsley, dill, or watercress
Place salmon on foil; measure thickness of salmon at thickest part, Sprinkle parsley, herbs, salt and pepper to taste onto salmon. Mix water with lemon juice and sprinkle over outside of salmon. Fold foil over and seal.
Place wrapped salmon on baking sheet and bake in 450o oven for 10 minutes for every 1 inch thickness of fish, plus an additional 10 minutes cooking time because it’s wrapped in foil (35 to 40 minutes total cooking time), or until salmon is opaque. Unwrap and discard skin; most of it should stick to foil. Place salmon on warmed platter. Garnish with cucumber, parsley, dill, or watercress (if using). Alternately, arrange cooked vegetables on platter with salmon. Suggestion – serve with Charles Krug Zinfandel.
* 1 unbaked pie shell
* 2 cup cooked/baked salmon
* 8 – 12 oz grated Monterey Jack cheese
* 3 eggs – beaten
* ½ cup evaporated milk
Flake salmon into pie shell and top with grated cheese. Mix eggs and milk together and pour over cheese. Bake in 3750 oven for 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
* 2 cup shredded cooked salmon – especially good with smoked or grilled salmon
* 4 oz softened cream cheese
* ¼ cup sour cream
* ½ tbsp fresh chopped onion – green or red are great
* 1 tsp horseradish
* Mayo as needed
* Dash of salt
Mix all of the ingredients well, using the mayo to your preferred consistency. Best if made the night before.
Flake salmon into pie shell and top with grated cheese. Mix eggs and milk together and pour over cheese. Bake in 375 oven for 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.